Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Experiment - Day 9

It's day 9 of The Experiment! Only 30 minutes until I can log on to Facebook again!

Yesterday started out with an appointment with a career counselor at the local technical college. I got some good leads on where to look for work - and after walking around campus, I didn't relish the idea of going back to school with a bunch of kids who will probably call me "gramps". Afterward, a colleague called me to discuss collaborating on a few possible books. I may not be surrounded by cash these days, but I'm starting to feel surrounded by unbridled creativity.

I completed all of yesterday's tasks. The first was a non-task, which didn't exactly thrill me - a 24-hour Facebook fast. I was fine with it until around 6pm, when I really wanted to check in and see what was up with my digital community. I had a few things I wanted to say on the social network - and I missed my megaphone! I didn't feel like staying away from facebook freed up all that much time. I guess I half expected to find myself with 3-4 hours of luxurious spare time, but that wasn't the case. In a way, it's good to know that I'm probably not spending that much time each day on the social network!

Yesterday, I wasn't stuck about what kind of new craft project to make. I had an old night light that had curved panel in front of the light with an illustration of deer against a purple sky. It was like one of those old lampshades you might find in a touristy vacation cabin, but I never liked the color of it. So I removed the original image, cut a piece of plastic to fit the wire frame, got some collage paper, and layered it for a background on top of the plastic. I then printed an image of fall leaves I had scanned a few years ago, cut them out, and put them on the background. Not bad for a quickie little arts and crafts project!

Rebecca and I did have a little bit of a falling out during this one, though. She wanted to help with the project. I originally wanted to punch small holes around the periphery of the frame and wrap thin leather lacing around the edges like the original night light, but I couldn't find a small home punch. Rebecca had a fancy hole punch in the shape of a horse that she was pushing me to use, but it didn't fit the look I was going for. She was so insistent that I had to remind her that this was my project and I was going to complete it as I saw fit - which, of course, she took as rejection. I didn't mind her helping me, but I bristled as she tried to foist her decisions on me. I guess it's too much to ask a 10-year-old to create assignments and then let go of the outcome?

I had a very strong feeling during the course of the day yesterday: I really need a place to call my own where I can do my thing without interruption. It's something I've always had before I moved in with Beth and Rebecca, and I really miss it. I currently work in the sunroom off the front parlor - and there are no boundaries. Beth and Rebecca seldom know when I am working or just at the computer doing something inconsequential. I get interrupted a lot. Sometimes, I am patient about it, and other times, I am grouchy and curt - and they feel rejected when I demand some space. We have a small outbuilding on the property that has been earmarked to be my studio, but we simply don't have the funds to rehab the it - nor the storage we need to clear it out to begin the rehab. I could curtain off the sunroom and close the curtains when I need privacy - but I think that would be even more awkward. I don't have the extra money to rent a small office, either. I really need my own independent creative space, but I'm at an impasse. What to do?

Today's tasks:
  1. Finish a project that I started a long time ago. On my task sheet, Rebecca drew a chair that I have been meaning to recane for a couple years now. I have the book on caning, the caning material and the chair. I've approached the project a few times, but it's one of those projects I really need help getting started with. And, the chair maker who made the chair told me it takes him about 4 hours to cane a chair - and he knows what he is doing. There must be another project I've left undone! Rebecca didn't specify, so I guess it doesn't need to be a creative project per se.
  2. Doodle. Rebecca said it's OK if my doodles lead to drawing something tangible. That's good news - I much prefer drawing tangible things. I think that Rebecca wants my drawings to be spontaneous - and often, my tangible sketchbook drawings are just that, even if I don't start them as doodles. Ah well, I need to follow the program!
  3. Sit on the futon and look around the house. Instead of seeing the lack, or shortcomings, think about all the wonderful experiences I've had in the dwelling.
I'll let you know tomorrow how I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to comment on my blog. All comments will be moderated to eliminate trolls and spammers.