Friday, September 23, 2011

The Experiment - Day 12

It's Day 12 of The Experiment where my 10-year-old daughter assigns me tasks I must complete!

Yesterday was interesting. Since Rebecca did not get around to assigning me tasks yesterday, I assigned myself some, choosing tasks I hadn't accomplished previously.

I was having a detox day, and Rebecca would have known better than to assign me a task I wouldn't be able to complete - like go for a long walk. So I didn't complete that task. Dang.

I did manage to doodle some yesterday evening. Beth asked me how it was going and I mentioned that abstract doodling wasn't exactly knocking my hat in the creek, so she urged me to draw something tangible if I was so compelled. So the end of my doodle featured actual cartooning. That's more fun for me!

And I did not manage to send any more letters to literary agents. I will try to catch up on that this weekend. And I didn't meditate. I don't know how I thought I was going to accomplish all those things yesterday. My sense of hope was stronger than reality. I should have realized what a busy day it would be - and that I have limitations. I had lots of work to complete, a midday appointment, an afternoon band rehearsal followed by a new client meeting, which took me right into dinnertime. Today has been about the same.

I have to admit, though, being busier for a few days feels good. Between yesterday evening and this morning, I got two new graphic design clients, which is great news. Maybe the action of trying new things and putting out feelers toward new endeavors is communicating to the world that I am ready for more productive pursuits - and the world is responding?

Rebecca and I also had a long chat last night about The Experiment. She does want to continue, but is concerned she is running out of ideas. We helped her find ways to think of new tasks. (When Beth suggested weeding the garden, I immediately shot her the stink-eye. I'm sure it's zen-ish to get down in the loam yanking weeds, but it's also sniffly when you have allergies. Nice try, Beth.) Rebecca might start compiling a list of ideas for tasks that she can add to when she's inspired. That way, she won't be so pressed to think of tasks on the fly each morning.

Rebecca is sleeping over a friends' house tonight, but I have been informed to expect tomorrow's tasks via email. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Here's today's list of tasks:
  1. Read your fiction book for 15 minutes - on the couch in a comfortable position. If you only do one task today, make sure it's this one!
  2. Write a creative poem about nature that is funny but sweet.
It's already 5pm and Beth and I are playing a dance tonight at 7pm, so I'd better get cracking! As always, I'll let you know tomorrow how today's tasks went.

And by the way, Happy Autumnal Equinox, everybody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to comment on my blog. All comments will be moderated to eliminate trolls and spammers.