Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Experiment - Day 10

It's day 10 of The Experiment where my 10-year-old daughter Rebecca assigns me tasks I must complete.

I did complete a project that had been laying fallow: I finished my "query letter", which is an introductory letter that I will send to prospective literary agents. I wrote a children's book some time ago titled "Rebecca The Dream Flipper", and I have been procrastinating on finding a publisher. A friend of mine, Bruce Mulkey, has experience on writing query letters, so I got his feedback and edited accordingly. It's now ready to send to literary agents!

I'm a little embarrassed that I completely forgot to doodle yesterday. I put it off, thinking I would doodle in the evening, but after dinner I completely spaced out. Ooops. Maybe I need to set an alarm on my computer in the early evening to remind me to complete my tasks?

I did sit on the futon and remember some of the positive experiences I've had in this house. Christmases, watching the hickory tree in the front yard turn golden yellow, watching the snow fly out the windows, laughter with Beth and Rebecca. After I was done, I sat and meditated - something I haven't done for awhile. I got a little dozey in the middle, but managed to sit for 25 minutes.

The Autumnal Equinox is in 2 days. I can hardly wait, since Fall is my favorite season! I'm already reveling in the cooler weather. There was a small branch on one of our oak trees whose leaves were already changing. I plucked off the leaves and scanned them.

The feeling is still very strong that I need a place where I can be creative and not worry about being interrupted. There are times when Beth and Rebecca want to speak with me, and I get grumpy if I'm in the middle of a thought or task. But there have also been times when I have interrupted Beth in the same way. I must make it a goal that I carve out a private space for myself. There must be a way! I think it will make things easier for all of us.

Today's tasks:
  1. Work on your book process. This is good - I will send out my first query letters to agents today! Once momentum is gained, it will be easy to send letters to agents each day for awhile.
  2. Play fiddle for 30 consecutive minutes. I'm playing for a dance on Friday night, so a little practice would be good anyway. And I can mix in some crooked tunes that I can't play for the dancers.
  3. Meditate - I guess it's time to get back in the habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to comment on my blog. All comments will be moderated to eliminate trolls and spammers.