Friday, September 30, 2011

The Experiment - Day 19

It's Day 19 of The Experiment where I must complete the tasks that my 10-year-old daughter Rebecca assigns to me.

Yesterday's complex "The Four Elements" task went very well, and as I mentioned yesterday, Rebecca gave me kudos for a job well done. For Air, I meditated, focusing on my breath, and restricting my thoughts to all things air. I turned on the ceiling fan overhead so I could feel the air moving against my skin. I recalled my decade of hang gliding, windy days, air hiding in all the cracks and crevasses of trees. As if on cue, the wind picked up and the wind chimes sang and leaves rustled as I meditated.

For Fire, I created this page of affirmations with a fiery background. I printed it, crumpled it up, and burned it in our backyard firepit. Even though the ink was dry, it burned very slowly, sending wisps of smoke skyward. I imagined my affirmations and intentions being released into the all-connected universe and knew they would all come back to me. I watched as the paper went from dark gray to medium gray to light gray to white ash. It reminded me that transformation comes in stages, and that I shouldn't get impatient.

For Earth, I remembered that Beth had planted some snow peas, but only a few had germinated and she had been meaning to replant. I found the seeds, and replanted. I worked barefoot so I could feel the earth under my feet while I planted.

For Water, I started out by watering all the new cold crops in our garden (they were due for a drink). I thought about all the iterations of water I could - remembering days when I swam and body surfed in the ocean, floated down rivers, made cannon balls diving into swimming pools. Rebecca asked me if I had thought of waterfalls, and even though I had lived in Yosemite Valley for a year when I was younger, waterfalls somehow did not cross my mind! Hmmm.

Since I had to water the plants anyway, that wasn't really a task I went out of my way to accomplish. I felt like I needed to do something more. I considered heading to the French Broad River to sit on the banks and watch the water course by, but I didn't really have enough time for that. So I did something that I rarely (if ever), let myself do: I took a shower, but after I finished scrubbing and shaving, I sat cross-legged in the tub for an extra 5 minutes and let the warm water cascade over me. It felt luxurious, and I enjoyed every second of it. I kept thinking about the water cleansing and healing me. It felt fantastic!

I'm a little concerned about having enough time for today's tasks. Yesterday's task took a big hunk of the day to complete, so I need to play catch-up with work, plus leave for a 3pm meeting, and then I'll need to leave early to play a dance at Rebecca's school. Ah, the typical pre-task whining.
  1. Light a candle (with a match, not a lighter), and sit at the dining room table watching it for 15 minutes. After that, leave the candle to burn out on its own.
  2. Make a cool, funky craft. Have fun and be creative! I have something in mind, but it'll take a little time to do. I could figure out a simpler project, but I don't want to rush through something easy just to get it done. My schedule being what it is, though, I may have to keep it quick and simple anyway.
  3. Extra: Play fiddle for 30 consecutive minutes. Hopefully, playing for the dance will suffice for that one.
I'll let you know how I did tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to comment on my blog. All comments will be moderated to eliminate trolls and spammers.