Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Experiment - Day 24

It's Day 24 of The Experiment where my 10-year-old daughter Rebecca assigns me tasks I must complete. And it's do-over day, since I didn't complete any tasks yesterday.

And already a tough do-over day at that. I am still on this cursed diet which is supposed to be healing my guts, but I awoke today doubled over with pain and digestive trouble. This diet is supposed to make me feel better, but it's been weeks and I'm still suffering. I understand that many cleansing diets have a detox phase, but this one won't let up. I have bad days more often than not. It's very discouraging.

I am certainly in no shape to go searching for my secret place unless I somehow rally later. I am so tired of these physical and emotional challenges. I want to get on with my life and get past these hurdles!

At least it's another perfect Fall day and I can at minimum sit out under the sun and warm my tender abdomen.

Yesterday, Beth thought it might help me if she took me to her secret place in Montreat, above Black Mountain. Montreat is an amazing place, originally a Presbyterian community nestled in a valley that is dotted with sweet arts-and-crafts style homes. I could easily picture us living there. We took the Rainbow Trail, looking for a small side trail that leads to a rocky outcrop - Beth's secret place. It was a nice walk on the shaded, north-facing side of the valley, and the Autumn light lingering in the trees overhead lit the trail with golden, magical diffused light.

After following the trail for a fair piece, Beth was startled that it dumped out onto a new road and a small development of new houses. We searched around the development roads and were at first unable to find the continuation of the trail. Beth became very upset, thinking that the trail had been destroyed and her secret place was gone. We didn't have much time, as we had to pick up Rebecca from school, and we were just about to give up when we found a mailbox left by the developer with a plan showing all the home sites. The trail was still there! We had merely zigged when we should have zagged. We found the side trail, but ran out of time before we got to her spot, and had to head back. We will return soon and find it.

Though a lovely hike, I don't know if it got me any closer to finding my own secret place. But maybe the hike counts, because it was the beginning of the exploration. I think finding my secret place will take some exploration. Even if I manage to go searching today, I may not find my secret place right away. Rebecca understands this, and I think she simply wants me to begin the search in earnest. And I will - if not today, then soon. Maybe I need to state my intention by starting to search, and my secret place will land in my lap when I least expect it?

I think I can manage Task #2 today: make a craft.

I'll let you know tomorrow how I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to comment on my blog. All comments will be moderated to eliminate trolls and spammers.